060 – Leadership and Sales, Influence and Inspiration, with Andy Paul
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Andy Paul is an Author, Speaker and Sales Acceleration Strategist. Andy writes and speaks on topics such as sales process, sales effectiveness, sales strategies, and sales productivity. Andy also hosts a top-rated podcast, Accelerate! Where he interviews the world’s foremost sales minds six times a week.
Click to Tweet: Leadership & Sales, Influence & Inspiration w/Andy Paul on the #YourBestManager show https://yourbestmanager.com/andypaul @ZeroTimeSelling @jamesdnewman
Andy Paul Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 2:03 Andy Paul’s Career Path
- Andy talks about his experience in sales, what led him to join Apple, how he got into the world of start-ups and why he started his business
- 6:21 Why you don’t have to be “salesy”
- Andy shares a story about how he was hired after just one question during an interview… a question he didn’t have the answer for!
- 12:00 “Selling is a form of leadership because you’re inspiring someone to do something with you… you’re not directing them, you’re inspiring them to come along with you, to follow you.”
- 13:36 Who was Andy Paul’s Best Manager?
- Andy talks about 3 managers who significantly impacted his career
- 13:57 Sales is simple. It’s not easy, but it’s simple.
- BALD – Be Present. Ask Killer Questions. Listen Without Judgement. Deliver Value With Every Sales Touch.
- 14:55 Leadership is sometimes in the details
- 16:15 Allow others to learn through mistakes
- 22:45 What is the biggest challenge that Andy Paul has faced as a leader?
- The feeling of lost control
- THE SOLUTION – “I’m only going to succeed if my people are successful”
- Focus on helping others be successful and treat them as individuals to find out how
- 25:20 Is the Problem with You or Your Employee?
- Andy talks about how it can be difficult to understand if performance issues are because of a manager or because of an employee
- 27:43 You have to ask.
- You need to get to know your employees, understand their goals and solicit feedback
- You need to ask for feedback from your own boss on how you are leading your team
- 29:06 Andy Paul’s Book Recommendation
- The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever, by Michael Bungay Stanier
- 30:06 Sales for Non-Salespeople
- To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others, by Dan Pink
- Sales is Influence and Inspiration
- 31:40 The Importance of Personal and Professional Development
- 29:49 What’s Exciting Andy Paul Today?
- The Accelerate! Podcast
- Andy Paul has a new book in him!
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
AndyPaul.com – Selling speed expert Andy Paul of Zero-Time Selling reveals his cutting-edge approach to make more sales in zero-time utilizing increased speed of selling.
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team