084 – Your Employees Are Watching You… with Betsy Allen-Manning
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Featured on FOX, CBS, ABC & NBC, Betsy Allen-Manning is well known for developing credible, respected & impactful leaders for organizations. With over 15 years experience as a leader for multi-billion dollar corporations, including the Beverly Hilton, Wynn Hotels & Disney, Betsy has been able to develop employee training programs for the Golden Globe events and Encore Beach Club, which is Steve Wynn’s $70 million dollar establishment in Las Vegas. As a leader, keynote speaker & corporate trainer, Betsy trains leaders for some of the top companies in the nation, including: Toshiba, BMW, TSA and the U.S. Department of Defense.
Click to Tweet: “Your Employees Are Watching You…” – a leadership chat with @betsyamanning on #YourBestManager http://yourbestmanager.com/betsyallenmanning @jamesdnewman
Betsy Allen-Manning Interview Notes:
- 1:46 Betsy Allen-Manning’s Career Path
- Betsy talks about how her decision to take initiative and revise a training program at the hotel she worked, led to a successful career in corporate training, speaking, and consulting.
- 4:03 What’s the difference between good training and bad training?
- You have to care about the people you are training.
- You have to understand that people have different personality styles
- “People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care” – John Maxwell
- 6:01 What is the Manager’s responsibility when it comes to training?
- Managers need to know what the company’s mission, vision, and values are. It is the manager’s job to instill those things into your people.
- Long term change requires accountability and follow-up after any type of formal training
- New leaders and first-time managers need to find opportunities for their own training and development
- 10:30 Do Top Performers Make Great Managers?
- Promoting your star employee into management isn’t necessarily a bad decision. Promoting them and failing to develop them… is a bad decision.
- 12:20 Who was Betsy Allen-Manning’s Best Manager?
- Betsy talked about how a restaurant manager named Bob created the space for her to do what she loved.
- “He always believed in me and he pushed me to reach my dreams beyond the workplace… He made me a better employee for him because I would do anything for him because of how much he believed in me.”
- “That’s what makes an incredible manager, is someone that sees you not as an employee; they see you as a human being, as a person with dreams beyond just what you’re doing in the workplace”
- 14:26 Paycheck Employees & Paycheck Leaders
- 15:03 You will always struggle with employee engagement if your employees cannot see the correlation between performance at work and personal achievement
- 16:45 As a leader, how do you want to be remembered?
- 19:12 The Biggest Leadership Challenge Betsy Allen-Manning Has Faced
- Betsy shares a story about a company that ruled on fear and punishment and how that poor leadership example influenced the way she managed her own team. Betsy talks about how she responded and how that experience inspired her mission today, to develop ethical leaders.
- 20:52 Some wise advice about self-development from Betsy’s father
- 21:28 Why are some bosses so mean?
- 21:57 – Fear
- 23:10 – Low Self-Confidence
- 23:40 – People are watching you… so what will your legacy be?
- 25:44 What’s Exciting Betsy Allen-Manning today?
- Betsy has developed some new keynotes and courses
- Betsy’s new book, Win with People: 52 Keys to Connect & Communicate Successfully
- 26:52 The Importance of Self-Development & Betsy’s Book Recommendations
- How to Win Friends & Influence People, by Dale Carnegie
- “After developing myself personally, I realized that I needed to develop myself professionally, as a leader.”
- John Maxwell on the 5 Levels of Leadership
- “If you want to develop yourself professionally… if you’re going to be a great leader, focus on people who are already great leaders themselves.”
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You, by John Maxwell
- 31:25 FREE download of Betsy’s “Leadership Productivity Formula”-10 Ways to Beat Procrastination & Get Stuff Done!
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
BetsyAllenManning.com – Motivational Speaker, Betsy Allen-Manning gives presentations on Leadership Skills & Organizational Development.
The “What If?” Project – 30 Days. 30 Leadership Tips. 30 Baby Steps. And 30 Opportunities to Become a Better Manager… Different Kind of Manager.