041 – Teach People How To Help You, with Dave Stachowiak
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Dave Stachowiak is the host of the Coaching for Leaders podcast, a Top 10 careers podcast on iTunes, downloaded over 3 million times. He helps leaders get access to the practical wisdom they need to empower the people they lead. Dave was named in Forbes as one of the 25 Professional Networking Experts to watch in 2015. He’s also had a successful career with Dale Carnegie, the global leader in workforce development and has been recognized multiple times with international business awards by Dale Carnegie.
Dave has a doctoral degree in organizational leadership from Pepperdine University and serves on the board of the Global Center for Women & Justice at Vanguard University.
Click to Tweet: Teach People How To Help You – A #leadership chat with @davestachowiak on the #YourBestManager podcast –> http://yourbestmanager.com/davestachowiak
Dave Stachowiak Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 2:08 Dave Stachowiak’s Career Path
- Dave learned some hard lessons from his first job outside of college
- How Dave got into coaching and consulting
- Why Dave started the Coaching for Leaders podcast
- 6:00 On Dale Carnegie
- Timeless Principles
- How to Win Friends & Influence People
- Dale Carnegie Coaching & Training
- 8:42 How Dave Stachowiak connected with Dale Carnegie
- Teach People How To Help You, “People want to help you. You have a lot of people in your life or at least a few people in your life who care about you and want to help you but they often just don’t know how”
- 11:31 Playing the Political Game
- Every organization has politics
- Successful leaders know how to navigate politics and contribute to the organization –> Company politics can be a positive
- 13:40 If you can navigate politics, you can ask for help
- Successful leaders, business owners, executives are able to ask for help
- Timeless Principles
- 15:14 Who was Dave Stachowiak’s Best Manager?
- Rhonda Kirts (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Balancing concern for task and concern for people
- Making a commitment to excellence – Setting the bar high
- An incredible commitment to people
- 20:18 Are you concerned for task or people?
- 20:56 How do you balance?
- Understand your strengths and weaknesses. Then seek training and development.
- 25:35 Helping people see the correlation between performance at work and personal achievement
- 25:54 How to engage and retain employees whose long-term goals do not include your company
- 29:17 Employee Engagement Question: Does your manager have our back?
- 30:06 Management lessons from McDonald’s
- “Leaders aren’t responsible for the numbers, leaders are responsible for the people responsible for the numbers” – Simon Sinek on the Coaching for Leaders podcast
- 32:30 What’s exciting Dave Stachowiak Today?
- 36:24 Dave Stachowiak’s Book Recommendations
- How to Win Friends & Influence People, by Dale Carnegie
- First, Break All The Rules: What the World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently, by Gallup / Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman
- The Leadership Challenge: How to Make Extraordinary Things Happen in Organizations, by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner
Interesting Links & Resources:
Coaching for Leaders – Listen to the Coaching for Leaders MemberCast, featuring exclusive bonus content just for members
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team