065 – The Truth Hurts But Authentic Leadership Wins, with Dr. James Kelley
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Dr. James Kelley is the Founder and CEO of Brave Endurance, a consultancy that assists organizations in gaining a better understanding of their employees’ well-being. He is also the host of the “Executives After Hours: Real Conversations with Leaders” podcast. James has developed strong partnerships around the world and brings them to the table when partnering with a client to enhance their well-being initiative. James brings a unique leadership style and perspective to the corporate well-being space, due to his marketing, research, and cultural experience.
Click to Tweet: The Truth Hurts But Authentic Leadership Wins with Dr.James Kelley | @ExecutivesAHour #YourBestManager @jamesdnewman https://yourbestmanager.com/drjameskelley
James Kelley Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:41 What Exactly Does Employee Wellness Really Mean?
- James’ definition of Employee Wellness: “Meeting your employees where they’re at, to take them on a journey that they need to go on to become a better human being. What that really means in that they become more physically healthy, mentally healthy, spiritually healthy, and financially healthy.”
- 3:42 Dr. James Kelley’s Career Path
- James talks about the challenges of his first management job, shares a couple stories about being fired, and discusses some experiences that have taken him around the world.
- 8:20 – From working in Academia to pursuing entrepreneurship and opening Brave Endurance
- 9:49 Using marketing and sales to trigger employee engagement
- 10:36 Dr. James Kelley relocates Brave Endurance to UAE
- 12:53 What does Dr. James Kelley do through Brave Endurance?
- James talks to organizations about their work environment, their engagement, their culture and their goals. He then helps these organizations create a plan to achieve those goals.
- 14:13 What does Employee Engagement look like in the UAE?
- 16:16 Who was James Kelley’s Best Manager?
- James talks about one of his mother’s bosses who taught him how to be a better leader and think about processes.
- James also talks about a man who was hard, raw and authentic, but who cares
- 18:17 Authentic Leadership & Honesty
- 19:03 How do you balance honest feedback and care of others.
- 19:51 On feedback: “If you hear it once, brush it off. If you hear it twice, think about it. If you hear it a third time, it’s true – change.”
- 21:28 The Authentic Leader (LinkedIn Article by Dr. James Kelley)
- 22:36 “What makes me unique is how I respond to things”
- 23:19 Dov Baron on Authentic Leadership
- 24:10 The Biggest Leadership Challenge that James Kelley has faced
- Navigating the transition between friend and boss
- 26:29 What’s Exciting James Kelley Today?
- 29:13 James Kelley’s Book Recommendations
- Discover Your True North, by Bill George
- The Art of Authenticity: Tools to Become an Authentic Leader and Your Best Self, by Karissa Thacker
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
Bravendurance.com – Brave Endurance is a Middle East well-being consultancy, that focuses on helping companies create sustainable strategies that increase productivity…
Executives After Hours Podcast (iTunes Link)
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team