063 – Why Are There So Many Bad Bosses? with Gene Hammett
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Gene Hammett is a writer, speaker, and strategic coach. He is the founder of LeadersintheTrenches.com and the host of the Leaders in the Trenches Podcast which is recognized as a top podcast for entrepreneurial leaders. Over 1 million people have listened to his podcast or used his materials to shift their inner game to create winning strategies. Gene’s specialty is helping leaders become THE choice rather than A choice in their market.
Click to Tweet: Why are there so many bad bosses? A #leadership chat w/@genehammett on the #YourBestManager podcast w/@jamesdnewman http://yourbestmanager.com/genehammett
Gene Hammett Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:35 Gene Hammett’s Career Path
- Today, Gene works with business owners, entrepreneurs and small teams within business where they want to be THE choice rather than just A choice in their market
- Gene talks about how expertise in a small area created opportunities within his career
- 4:46 Gene talks about running an e-commerce business for 9 years
- Gene shares a story of contrast between the pinnacle of his business (6:45) and a painful crash (7:44).
- 9:22 How Gene shifted his focus and started helping others through his business
- 10:24 Where does “Leaders in the Trenches” mean?
- 11:14 Gene talks about a conversation he had with Lewis Howes and an exercise Lewis used help Gene make a decision
- 13:23 Who was Gene Hammett’s Best Manager?
- Good leaders understand that development is a two-way street. Everyone has a unique perspective and value to give, good leaders see this and learn.
- “He allowed me to give to him as much as I allowed him to give to me”
- Gene’s wife, Amanda Hammett, on mentorship (http://amandahammett.com/tedx/ )
- 17:11 Why Are There So Many Bad Bosses?
- Many people become managers because they were really good at what they did, but that’s not leadership.
- One of the critical things managers need to learn is, when to listen, when to ask questions, and when to tell your people what to do.
- It’s too easy to just tell people, “here’s how you fix that”. Allow people the opportunities to figure things out rather than just tell them what do to.
- 21:44 What’s Exciting Gene Hammett Today?
- Gene gives a call to action to employees, first-time managers, and professionals – create a personal brand
- Gene is helping entrepreneurs find their niche, build their businesses, get on stages, and find where they can be a leader and an authority in their market.
- 24:33 Gene Hammett’s Book Recommendations
- The Trap of Success: How to Break Free From Your Comfort Zone and Shift From Success to Significance, by Gene Hammett (GET THE FIRST 2 CHAPTERS FREE)
- The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever, by Michael Bungay Stanier
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
LeadersInTheTrenches.com – Want More Authority? Want to Stand Out? You Belong Here. Getting traction in business is harder in today’s noisy world. What worked in the past may not be…
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team