089 – Leadership is the Perfect Acronym for… Leadership, with Dr. Hans Finzel
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Dr. Hans Finzel is a successful author, speaker and trusted authority in the field of leadership. For 20 years he led international non-profit World Venture, serving in over 65 countries. Hans speaks and writes on practical leadership principles from the real world, not the classroom. He has written ten books, including his bestseller “The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make”. And Hans has just released his 10th book, “The Top Ten Ways to Be A Great Leader” and his books have been translated into over twenty foreign languages. Today he serves as President of HD Leaders.
Click to Tweet: Leadership is the Perfect Acronym for… Leadership, with @hansfinzel on the #YourBestManager show YourBestManager.com/HansFinzel w/@jamesdnewman
Hans Finzel Interview Notes:
- 2:17 Hans Finzel’s Career Path
- Hans talks about the diverse opportunities he had working in the nonprofit sector as well as how his experience leading WorldVenture as CEO for 20 years set the stage for the leadership consulting he does today.
- 3:37 How Hans made the decision to leave WorldVenture to begin writing and speaking about leadership
- “You know? I’m kinda bored with this. The things that I have to do every day, they don’t fuel me anymore. They don’t jazz me anymore.”
- “Now I just get to come alongside without a position of authority but more like an elder… an elder and a mentor and a man of wisdom that can just share what I’ve learned about leadership, I just love it!
- 6:44 How a baseball cap changed Hans’ life
- “Do what you like, like what you do”
- The Power of Passion in Leadership: Lead From Your Heart, Not Just Your Head, by Hans Finzel
- 9:32 10 Mistakes verses 10 Great Ways (How do they fit together?)
- The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make, by Hans Finzel
- Top Ten Ways to Be a Great Leader, by Hans Finzel
- “We spend a lot of time teaching our leaders what to do. We don’t spend enough time teaching them what to stop.” – Peter Drucker
- LEADERSHIP… an acronym for… Leadership
- 12:19 Why is harder to stop something than it is to start something?
- “We lead as we were led and if we’ve had bad leadership, we will lead poorly ourselves”
- “If you do what comes naturally, you’ll be a poor leader”
- 16:20 What do you do if you don’t know… and what do you do if you don’t know you don’t know?
- 16:40 LEADERSHIP (A sneak peak into the Top Ten Ways to Be a Great Leader)
- 16:40 Listen & Learn
- 18:38 Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and how to complete a great reference check
- 21:20 Accessability (and Vulnerability)
- 25:56 Determination, Effective Leadership, Resilience, Servant Attitude, Hands-Off Delegation, Integrity, and the Power of Humility
- “Leadership is failure, and you will fall flat on your back and resilience is being about to get back up”
- “If you were to ask me what is one characteristic/trait of the best leaders in the world that you love to follow, I’d say humility”
- 27:25 The Difference Between being Vulnerable and being Humble
- Servant Leadership – “It’s when a leader cares more about the good of the team than his or her own personal enrichment”
- “A good leader is a person who takes a little more than his share of the blame and a little less than his share of the credit” – John Maxwell
- 29:14 Who was Hans Finzel’s Best Manager?
- Hans speaks about his boss while he worked in Europ named Arno and he shares a story about how Arno championed Hans into the CEO role at WorldVenture
- “He truly believed in me, saw my potential, embraced my maverick… he allowed me to be creative and he championed me…”
- 32:03 Confidence verses False Confidence
- Truth Works
- 34:34 How to Connect with Hans Finzel
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
HansFinzel.com – Hans Finzel speaks from a huge reservoir of real life leadership experience when he maps out the essential skills that every effective leader must master.
HDLeaders.com – Helping church and ministry leaders take their leadership to the next level. HDLeaders is a faith ministry. We come alongside church and ministry leaders.
WorldVenture.com – A Global Catalyst for Gospel Movements
The “What If?” Project – 30 Days. 30 Leadership Tips. 30 Baby Steps. And 30 Opportunities to Become a Better Manager… Different Kind of Manager.