075 – Don’t Play The Victim, Embrace Who You Are, with Heather Havenwood
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Heather Ann Havenwood, CEO of Havenwood Worldwide, LLC and Chief Sexy Boss, is a serial entrepreneur and is regarded as a top authority on internet marketing, business strategies, and marketing. Since marketing her first online business in 1999, bringing together clients and personal coaches, she has played an active role in the online marketing world since before most even had a home computer.
In 2006, she started, developed and grew an online information marketing publishing company from ground zero to over $1 million in sales in less than 12 months. Heather has been named one of the Top 50 Must Follow Women Entrepreneurs for 2017 by the Huffington Post. She is also the author of Sexy Boss: How the empowerment of women is changing the Rule Book for Sex, Money, and Success.
Click to Tweet: Don’t Play The Victim, Embrace Who You Are -@hhavenwood on the #yourbestmanager show w/@jamesdnewman http://yourbestmanager.com/heatherhavenwood #GenderEquality
Heather Havenwood Interview Notes:
- 2:05 Heather Havenwood’s Career Path
- Heather talks about her experience in B2B sales and how she went from the number 1 salesperson to getting fired unexpectedly [5:33].
- 6:59 Heather lands in the real estate business after responding to an infomercial. This experience gave her the marketing skills that she now leverages in her own business today.
- 10:18 How to accidentally create opportunities… it’s all about how you respond to the situations you find yourself in.
- 11:30 A trip back in time – B2B Sales and the Gender Gap
- Heather talks about the challenges she faced in B2B sales and the lessons she learned through that experience
- “I realized that they’re not wrong. I was a wrong fit.”
- 16:05 Do women face the same struggles today that Heather faced 15 years ago as a woman?
- “It’s not personal.” It’s just the gender conversation.
- “It’s changing, but it’s not changing that much… especially in the gender gap of money and salary.”
- 19:02 How Heather got hired into B2B sales amidst push-back
- “[She said], I’m going to say ‘yes’ to this, but I just want you to know if it doesn’t work out… we’ll definitely put you in customer service, you still have a job.”
- “People look at me and they totally underestimated me and they put me in a category. They didn’t know me, they didn’t understand me, they didn’t understand what drives me, they didn’t understand my background, they didn’t understand my mindset, they just said, ‘oh, you’re cute, blonde, with nice boobs… you should probably be in customer service”
- “But instead of saying ‘oh poor me’ I said ‘No, I want to prove it. Give me a chance and I’m going to prove.”
- “Yes there’s cultural issues, yes there’s racism, but it’s up to us to take a stand personally for ourselves”
- 23:16 Don’t Play The Victim, Embrace Who You Are
- Heather talks about how she is leveraging her past experiences to fuel her business
- Heather owns 4 companies including a weight-loss company, a supplement company, a dating business teaching men how to date women, and Sexy Boss where she works one-on-one with entrepreneurs.
- What is a Sexy Boss?
- Sexy Boss – How Female Entrepreneurs Are Changing the Rule Book for Money, Success and Even Sex, and How You Can Too!, by Heather Havenwood
- How to be a woman and a business woman at the same time
- The Boss – You are the CEO of your life
- 28:10 Some advice for leading woman
- Women want their boss to treat them equally
- Women want to know that their boss supports them
- “That’s the job of any leader at any company. If they’re running a team, their job is to find out what the talents are of their team and then give them the tools and the support they need to go out there and run. That’s their job.”
- StrengthFinders –
- 31:07 Advice for a female managing another female. Women leaders need over-communicate to the women on their team that as the manager, you have their back.
- “I have your back and what I want is, I want you to thrive… that goes a long way.”
- 32:56 Who was Heather’s Best Manager?
- Heather talks about how one of her best managers was a female leader who overcommunicated that she had Heather’s back.
- “I felt that I was supported”
- 33:52 What’s Exciting Heather Havenwood Today?
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
SexyBossInc.com – Heather Havenwood has created a community of female entrepreneurs and business women.
HeatherHavenwood.com – Marketing and Sales Coach and Consultant, Women’s Business Leadership, Female Entrepreneur, Author, and Speaker.
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team