Season #2: Session 1
What is it, that differentiates the great leaders from everyone else? What sets apart the managers who create meaningful moments from the ones who are… forgettable? During this conversation, I talk with Mike Figliuolo about what it means to be authentic.
adjective: of undisputed origin; genuine. based on facts; accurate or reliable
synonyms: genuine, real, bona fide, true, veritable, reliable, dependable, trustworthy, authoritative, honest, faithful
Also discussed on today’s episode:
- What it means to be a leader
- How managers can “let go”
- The connection between sharing emotions and building trust
In this bonus audio clip, Mike shares what he’s been reading lately and answers a couple question from a podcast listener.
Listener Question 1: You and one of your colleagues interview for a promotion. You get the promotion and your colleague (the one who didn’t get the promotion) now reports to you. What do you do?
Listener Question 2: How do you manage an employee who has more experience and expertise than you?
Do you have a question that you’d like answered on an episode of the Your Best Manager podcast? If so, click here!
Recommended Reading (Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks):
Making the Awkward Jump from Peer to Boss, Free Article by Mike Figliuolo
- Authentic Leadership? Yeah, No Thanks, LinkedIn Article by Jamie Newman
A Truck Full of Money, by Tracy Kidder
Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don’t, by Jim Collins
About Mike Figliuolo
Mike Figliuolo is an honor graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, where he graduated in the top 5 percent of his class. He served in the U.S. Army as an armor officer. Mike also spent time in corporate America as a consultant at McKinsey & Company and as an executive at Capital One and Scotts Miracle-Gro. As the founder and managing director of thoughtLEADERS, LLC, he and his team train senior executives at leading companies on leadership, strategy, communications, innovation, and other critical business skills.
Mike Figliuolo’s Books:
- Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks
How to connect with Mike Figliuolo:
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Are you an authentic leader?
Do you struggle with sharing your emotions?
Is it difficult to let go sometimes?
- Great #Leaders Ask Great Questions - Get your free copy of this ebook at http://t.co/z8OIfxWH9P http://t.co/mQZTgcohzo 2 hours ago
- Great #Leaders Ask Great Questions - Get your free copy of this ebook at http://t.co/qO1F5Ajm7i http://t.co/u9xfKIABvC 4 days ago
- Great #Leaders Ask Great Questions - Get your free copy of this ebook at http://t.co/rcri7ZiOo3 http://t.co/b71HehwWo4 1 week ago