002: You’re not really hiring someone, you’re extending an invitation with Howard Behar
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Howard Beehar is a renowned business leader, author, speaker, and mentor who led Starbuck’s domestic business as President of North America for 21 years. He also became the founding President of Starbucks International, opening the very first store outside of North America, in Japan. During his tenure, he participated in the growth of the company from 28 stores to over 15,000 stores, spanning five continents. Howard is also the author of two books: The Magic Cup and It’s Not About The Coffee.
Click to Tweet: Howard Behar shares who had the most significant impact on his career. Listen now on the #YourBestManager podcast> https://yourbestmanager.com/HowardBehar
Howard Behar Interview – Key Takeaways
- 1:56 On writing “The Magic Cup”
- 2:39 Howard Behar’s Career Path
- 5:01 Who was Howard Behar’s Best Manager and why?
- 6:13 Biggest People Management Challenge: Hiring and right people and not keeping the wrong people
- 6:46 The Solution: On hiring the right people, you’re not really hiring somebody, you’re extending and invitation for them to join your organization. On not keeping the wrong people, if you don’t do it, you hurt your team. Hiring people skills matters most.
- 9:17 Character over Competence: Give me people that have passion and purpose in their lives and that love people and love to work with teams any day over a star athlete who could care less about people.
- 10:03 Taking pride in the successes and achievements of others
- 11:10 What’s Exciting Howard Today? Personally, 6 grandchildren and watching them grow and spending time with his wife, Lynn. Professionally, Howard enjoys working with others and helping leaders understand the responsibility of serving others.
- 13:05 The importance of investing in personal and professional self-development.
- 14:52 Howard’s Book Recommendation for First-Time Managers
- 15:33: Final words of encouragement for aspiring managers and first-time managers – Write down your values and your personal mission statement in life
- 16:20 Howard in 50 words or less – Howard’s personal mission statement, core values, and his 6 P’s of how to do everything.
Interesting Links & Resources:
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team