054 – You Need To Hire People Who Actually Care, with Jacob Morgan
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Jacob Morgan is a best-selling author, keynote speaker, and futurist who explores what the future of work is going to look like and how to create great experiences so that employees actually want to show up to work. He’s written three best-selling books which are The Collaborative Organization, The Future of Work, and most recently, The Employee Experience Advantage. In addition to speaking, Jacob frequently contributes to media and business publications such as Forbes, the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Inc. Magazine, CNN and many others. And his work has been endorsed by the CEOs of Cisco, T-Mobil, Best-Buy, Schneider Electric, SAP, Nestle, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, KPMG, Whirlpool, among others.
Click to Tweet: You Need To Hire People Who Actually Care, with Jacob Morgan | @jacobm @jamesdnewman #yourbestmanager #leadership http://yourbestmanager.com/jacobmorgan
Jacob Morgan Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 2:33 Jacob Morgan’s Career Path
- How Jacob took negative employee experiences and built a career on exploring and advising organizations how to create great employee experiences.
- 4:14 What’s going on with employee engagement in today’s organizations?
- Investment in employee engagement has never been higher and the scores have never been lower
- Employee Engagement is not about the perks. Employee Experience is about building your workplaces practices around your people through culture, technology, and physical space… it’s not just leadership.
- 7:46 So what are some of the solutions?
- Instead of planning annual employee engagement surveys, create a feedback-rich culture
- 9:45 What is the future of work?
- It’s largely about the employee experience
- “The future of work is about people. It’s about the experiences that your people have and how to create an organization where the best people want to show up and give their all.”
- 11:24 On technology and automation
- While jobs may change, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re being eliminated.
- 14:36 Who was Jacob Morgan’s Best Manager
- The people who have had the most significant influence on Jacob are those who didn’t help him
- We don’t all have the privilege of working for incredible leaders, but we can still learn and grow
- 16:54 Do organizations create poor managers?
- Promote the right people (with leadership capabilities) and teach them management
- 19:06 You can tell people how to behave but you can’t change their heart
- 20:02 “You gotta hire the people that actually care. Because no amount of investment or training or anything else like that is gonna get managers to commit to this… They’re not going to buy into something if they don’t genuinely care about people.”
- 20:47 So when it comes to the employee experience, what works?
- Every experience of every employee in every company comes down to culture, technology, and physical space
- Invest in data and people analytics internally
- 23:07 What’s Exciting Jacob Morgan Today?
- The Employee Experience Advantage: How to Win the War for Talent by Giving Employees the Workspaces they Want, the Tools they Need, and a Culture They Can Celebrate, by Jacob Morgan
- Connecting with organizations to speak and consult on the employee experience
- Creating free content (podcasts, videos, articles, etc.)
- 24:22 So, if I’m a new leader or first-time manager… what do I do?
- It’s all about your people
- “How often do you help make people more successful than you are?”
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
TheFutureOrganization.com – Jacob Morgan is a Best-Selling Author, Futurist, and Globally Sought After Keynote Speaker on the Future of Work and Employee Experience.
The Future of Work Podcast (iTunes)
The Future in 5 (YouTube Channel)
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team