022 – Manager or Psychologist? Employee Engagement with Jill Christensen
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Jill Christensen is an Employee Engagement Expert, Best-Selling Author, and Keynote Speaker who has helped thousands of leaders and HR professionals improve business results by re-engaging employees. Jill has served as the head of Global Internal Communications at both Avaya and Western Union. She has a Six Sigma Green Belt and authored the best-selling book, If Not You, Who? Cracking the Code of Employee Disengagement.
Jill is consistently rated among the top speakers at events she attends, and works with the best and brightest leaders around the world to improve productivity, customer satisfaction, and revenue growth. Jill lives in Denver and is passionate about global travel, skiing, live music, extraordinary food and wine, volunteering, the NFL, balance, and Maine Coon Cats.
Click to Tweet: Listen to Jill Christensen share who had the most significant impact on her career. On the #YourBestManager #podcast http://yourbestmanager.com/jillchristensen
Jill Christensen Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:53 Why Maine Coon Cats?
- 3:19 Jill Christensen’s Career Path
- How Jill got into Employee Engagement Consulting
- When and Why Jill decided to become an author & speaker
- Why Employee Engagement
- There are poor cultures in EVERY industry
- The latest research shows that over 71% of U.S. workers are disengaged (and 87% globally)
- 7:58 Who was Jill’s Best Manager?
- The manager who was least like Jill as a person
- The power of offering a different perspective
- 8:46 The best piece of advice that Jill has ever received from a manager in her career
- As a leader, you are not always going to agree with the decisions that are made by the leaders that are above you, but as a leader, you must align.
- The importance of getting behind your senior leaders and supporting their decisions
- Sharing Opinion vs Making Decisions
- Powerful Leadership Question: Have you spoken to leadership about what you think is wrong and what you think they could do to improve it?
- If senior leaders do not embrace employee engagement, they don’t care, but you’ve spoken up and offered a solution… that may be a sign that it’s time to leave.
- “Everybody wants to work in a place where they are valued, appreciated and recognized” (Tweet This)
- The 3rd Step to Re-Engaging Employees: Create an open and honest 2-way communication culture (The 4 Steps are outlined in Jill’s Book If Not You, Who? Cracking the Code of Employee Disengagement)
- 18:15 The biggest leadership challenge Jill has faced
- Not realizing that you are going to spend approx 30% of your time acting in a Psychologist role
- Studies show that Emotional Intelligence is important to achieving success and necessary for leading people
- 23:16 What’s Exciting Jill Christensen today?
- Jill is growing as a national and international speaker, sharing her message of how to re-engage employees
- Publishing the second edition of her book (If Not You, Who?)
- 25:26 Jill Christensen’s Book Recommendations
- If Not You, Who? Cracking the Code of Employee Disengagement (Second Edition), by Jill Christensen
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change, by Stephen Covey
Interesting Links & Resources:
JillChristensenIntl.com – Jill Christensen, Employee Engagement Author, Speaker and Consultant
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team