001: Wait a minute, people at Google are really smart with Mike Figliuolo
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Mike Figliuolo is an honor graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, where he graduated in the top 5 percent of his class. He served in the U.S. Army as an armor officer. Mike also spent time in corporate America as a consultant at McKinsey & Company and as an executive at Capital One and Scotts Miracle-Gro. As the founder and managing director of thoughtLEADERS, LLC, he and his team train senior executives at leading companies on leadership, strategy, communications, innovation, and other critical business skills. He is the author of three books – One Piece of Paper: The Simple Approach to Powerful, Personal Leadership, Lead Inside the Box: How Smart Leaders Guide Their Teams to Exceptional Results, and The Elegant Pitch: Create a Compelling Recommendation, Build Broad Support, and Get it Approved.
Click to Tweet: Mike Figliuolo shares who had the most significant impact on his career. Listen now on the #YourBestManager podcast> http://yourbestmanager.com/mikefigliuolo
Mike Figliuolo Interview – Key Takeaways
- 3:58 Why Leadership? It always comes back to the people. Look for opportunities to create situations that help others succeed and find satisfaction in their achievements.
- 6:01 Who was Mike Figliuolo’s Best Manager and why?
- 8:35 Biggest People Management Challenge: Difficult Conversations, not necessarily performance based but often behaviour based.
- 9:47 The Solution: Deliver Feedback – Direct, Open, Listen for Alternate Possibilities, if something bad is going on, here’s the standard, what needs to change?
- 11:57 Advice to Mike’s Former Self: Reinforce the message that you should do things that you are interested in and passionate about. If you do that and work with people you like and things will work out just fine.
- 13:31 What’s Exciting Mike Today? His team team continues to grow, their business/training offerings continue grow, and they are getting more opportunities to work with some really cool and fun new clients.
- 14:06 An opportunity to teach Google, “wait a minute, people at Google are really smart”
- 15:46 The importance of investing in personal and professional self-development.
- 18:38 Mike’s Book Recommendations for First-Time Managers
- One Piece of Paper: The Simple Approach to Powerful, Personal Leadership, by Mike Figliuolo
- Lead Inside the Box: How Smart Leaders Guide Their Teams to Exceptional Results, by Mike Figliuolo
- The Elegant Pitch: Create a Compelling Recommendation, Build Broad Support, and Get it Approved, by Mike Figliuolo
- The Obstacle is the Way The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumphs, by Ryan Holiday
- 22:40: Final words of encouragement for aspiring managers and first-time managers – You’re gonna screw up… and it’s okay
- 24:52 How to connect with Mike Figliuolo and ThoughtLeaders LLC
Interesting Links & Resources:
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team