069 – Bad News Hits Me First Because I Have Your Back with Neville Chamberlain
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Neville Chamberlain is the CEO of Britewrx Inc. and a Transformational Business Strategist who helps organizations align their boards, executive and management teams, rapidly develop strategy, innovate business models and develop new products and services.
With a 30+ year career spanning technology, multiple CxO positions, consulting, large and small enterprises and various startups in multiple countries, Neville has the breadth, depth and track record to engage with teams at any level and bring about radical change in culture, thinking, technology and business.
Click to Tweet: Bad News Hits Me First Because I Have Your Back w Neville Chamberlain | #yourbestmanager https://yourbestmanager.com/nevillechamberlain @britewrx @jamesdnewman
Neville Chamberlain Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:43 Why do techies have such a problem understanding that technology has to solve problems real people care about?
- How to battle the innovator’s bias
- 3:47 Neville Chamberlain’s Career Path
- Neville discusses some of his experiences working internationally in TV technology
- He then shares about his experience working with a startup that helped internet startups get ready for angel funding… just before the dot-com bubble burst!
- Neville relocates to Canada and which ultimately led to CEO and similar leadership opportunities, including some exciting company turnarounds working with venture capitalists
- 11:20 How do you differentiate yourself? Get things wrong more often than other people do!
- Neville now provides business clarity consulting
- 12:36 What is business clarity consulting?
- Project Portfolio Management – The process of managing your investment portfolio of projects, literally like an investment portfolio
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers
- Business Modelling & The Business Model Canvas Tool – 9 Building Blocks to describe your business model.
- Strategyzer.com – A resource with some short videos on how the Business Model Canvas Works
- Visual Tools create a different language that becomes a shared vocabulary across the organization that helps the company explain the big picture.
- 18:11 Who was Neville Chamberlain’s Best Manager?
- Neville talks about a man named Barry who had a track record of building multiple $100M-200M companies and was able to provide exception advice because of those experiences.
- 19:12 Stop Spinning Your Wheels – “Speed… momentum… especially in the entrepreneurial world is much more important than being 100% right because you are always going to make mistakes… but if you are stuck in analysis paralysis, you are not going to be able to move forward.”
- 21:05 Do you need to take 100% responsibility for the decisions you make? No – “You have a team of people that you’re leading… and if you trust your team, they will help you get through the tough times, if you’re honest with them.”
- 23:05 “When you make decisions together with your team, you are more likely to make good decisions. The second thing is that when you make those decisions and you’re now implementing whatever you decided to do, people are already bought into the idea. You don’t have to sell it to them.”
- 24:41 What are some of the challenges that Neville has faced as a leader?
- “Managing people is tough. We have to realize that everybody around us is a person just like us. They have fears, they have problems at home, they have desires, they have particular backgrounds, particular world-views… There’s a fine balance between being compassionate & understanding and getting the job done.”
- 26:06 Neville’s one rule: Bad news hits me first!
- Why? Because I have your back!
- 27:23 What’s Exciting Neville Chamberlain Today?
- Neville is taking the tools and techniques he has used with small and mid-sized companies and bring those tools to startups and solopreneurs. (Visit http://Britewrx.com)
- 31:18 Neville Chamberlain’s Book Recommendations
- The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (And Why They Don’t), by Sean D’SouzaBrain
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
Britewrx – We help CEO’s of small- to mid-size companies build high-performance teams.
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team