042 – Grow Your People & Help Them Get To The Next Level, with Nicole Thomsen
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Nicole Thomsen leads the Corporate Recruiting team at education technology company, 2U, which is headquartered in Landover, MD. Nicole brings over 8 years of talent acquisition, employer branding, culture advocacy and leadership to her current position in which she has directly impacted and overseen 2U’s employee population grow from under 200 to over 1200 in less than 6 years and across 6 office locations.
Nicole obtained her undergraduate degree in Management, Marketing and Philosophy from the University of Scranton, and is presently pursuing her MBA at UNC Chapel Hill’s Kenan-Flagler School of Business.
Click to Tweet: Grow Your People & Help Them Get To The Next Level, w/Nicole Thomsen https://yourbestmanager.com/nicolethomsen @nmthomsen @2Uinc #leadership #yourbestmanager
Nicole Thomsen Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:46 2U’s Corporate Philosophy, #NoBackRow
- 3:22 Nicole Thomsen’s Career Path
- 4:24 Nicole’s career started with Aerotek during challenging economic times.
- It was one of her managers at Aerotek who taught her how to be a business person, what a good manager looks like and how a leader should conduct themselves.
- 5:02 Transitioning to work in Higher Education and connecting with 2U
- 5:36 2U’s rapid growth and continued opportunities
- 6:29 Who was Nicole Thomsen’s Best Manager?
- “She practiced what she preached”
- “She started a mentoring group for women,” providing mentorship opportunities to women across all levels and all functions of 2U
- 8:25 Passion –> Combining Care with Authority & Accountability
- 9:46 The power of transparency, honesty & sincerity
- 10:34 The Biggest Management Challenge that Nicole Thomsen has faced
- Hiring people who think differently than you do
- 11:29 “You really need to manage everyone a little bit differently. Not everyone can fall under the same bucket… especially if your goal as a manager is to grow your people and help them get to the next level”
- “Being consistent doesn’t necessarily mean being the same” (Tweet This)
- 12:23 – The Solution?
- Meet people where they are, not where you are
- 14:00 What’s Exciting Nicole Thomsen Today?
- 2U just moved into a brand new headquarters
- The culture at 2U: “A place that feels up to date and technically savvy, but still so warm and inclusive, and it’s just such a reflection of how well we’re doing as a company and all of the growth that we’ve experienced…”
- 16:06 The Importance of Personal & Professional Self-Development
- “You can’t wait for someone to tap you on the shoulder and tell you what to do in your career, you really need to be the person in the driver’s seat”
- Invest in your own education; For Nicole, that meant pursuing her MBA
- 19:01 Nicole Thomsen’s Book Recommendations
- “It’s no accident that the most successful people read”
- The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn’t, by Robert Sutton
- 20:17 Connect With People Who May Disagree With You
- 22:47 Final words of encouragement
- In all things – humble confidence and BE BOLD
Interesting Links & Resources:
2U.com – 2U Inc., is an education technology company that partners with top colleges & universities to bring their degree programs and credit-bearing courses online.
2U on Twitter (@2Ucareers)
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team