030 – Leadership is a Choice You Make to Serve Others, with Peter Docker
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Peter Docker is passionate about enabling people to be extraordinary so that they can do extraordinary things. Inspired by Simon Sinek’s theory of The Golden Circle, Peter works to help individuals and organizations harness the power of Why. He illustrates his insights by drawing on examples from his previous flying, military, and industry career to explain principles that can be applied in any business.
A leadership consultant and executive coach, Peter’s commercial experience extends across Europe, Middle East and Africa, North America, Latin America, India, and the Far East. He has engaged at senior levels with several of the world’s largest companies, developing an understanding of many diverse industries including oil & gas, manufacturing, mining, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, banking, television, film and aviation.
Partnering with the “Start With Why” team since 2011, Peter works with organizations on longer-term engagements, delivers keynote talks around the world, and is a regular contributor to Simon Sinek’s blog and podcast series.
Click to Tweet: Listen to Peter Docker share who had the most significant impact on his career on the Your Best Manager podcast
Peter Docker Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 2:09 Peter Docker’s Career Path
- 3:20 How Peter connected with Simon Sinek and the Start With Why team
- “A lot of the really wonderful things that happen are when you step back and create a space into which others can step and you just allow things to happen”
- 4:57 Human Leadership – The power of sharing a meal… “Keep it human, and sharing some time over a meal is one good easy way of doing that”
- 5:37 Peter Docker on Simon Sinek’s Millennial Video (See Links Below)
- 7:29 Who was Peter Docker’s Best Manager?
- James “Jim” Dutton (Royal Marines Officer)
- “He always had time to listen and he listened to his people, me being one of them, and that’s very import because you really valued that he valued your opinion and your input”
- 10:59 Some takeaways
- Shoulder to Shoulder Leadership… your employee or your partner?
- The difference between managing and leading. Management is about doing while leadership is about being (how a someone occurs to us)
- Listening Skills, Authenticity & Trust and how these things impact relationships
- 14:23 Peter Docker on Listening Skills
- “Being vulnerable is not about showing weakness… Being vulnerable is just letting people into how you feel” (Tweet This)
- Action Item: Become a better leader by simply closing your laptop when an employee comes into your office to talk to you
- 18:34 The biggest leadership challenge that Peter Docker has faced
- Peter shares an experience from his time in the military. He talks about stepping outside of your comfort zone and how he often didn’t know what to do. He also shares about a life or death leadership situation where he led 200 people into a war zone. There was a massive weight of responsibility and while he knew how to do the job, he didn’t really know how to lead in this unknown situation. Peter talks about the pressure to perform in new and uncomfortable situations.
- The solution: He held the space for the people around him to work out the challenges. He focused all of his energy on taking care of his people.
- 24:16 – Pay attention to key transitions in your career. How to shift focus from you and your results to your people and their results… then shifting your focus from management and real leadership.
- “Leadership is a choice you make to serve others” (Tweet This)
- 28:10 Peter Docker’s Book Recommendations
- 29:47 What’s Exciting Peter Today?
- Book Writing – Find Your Why: A Practical Guide to Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team, by Simon Sinek, David Mead, Peter Docker
- Speaking – Simon Sinek and Peter Docker Live in Australia and New Zealand (“Start With Why” Leadership Forum)
Interesting Links & Resources:
WhyNotUnlimited.com – Specialising in organisational culture and leadership, we help individuals and organisations harness the power of Why
StartWithWhy.com – Start With Why inspires people to do the things that inspire them.
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team