099 – Stop. Take a Time-Out. Focus On The Big Picture, with R. Shawn McBride
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
R. Shawn McBride is an authority helping successful business owners build companies that stand the test of time. He’s a TEDx speaker, author of Business Blunders! and a frequent conference speaker on making business dreams come true and he’s a frequent online contributor of videos and content on planning. Currently Shawn is working on his 50 State Tour of Business where he is traveling to all 50 States and interviewing businesses to learn what is great about American business today. He is also defending the role of women in business in response to his TEDx talk on the same topic.
Click to Tweet: Stop. Take a Time-Out & Focus On The Big Picture w/Shawn McBride @McBrideForBus on #yourbestmanager YourBestManager.com/r-shawn-mcbride w/@jamesdnewman
R. Shawn McBride Interview Notes:
- 1:40 Shawn McBride’s Career Path
- Shawn talks about how his pursuit of job satisfaction led him to start his own law firm, which created opportunities for public speaking. Through this experience, Shawn was often asked for business planning advice, which became an area of expertise he now offers his clients.
- “…building plans that really work, starting from the ground up. Where are we going? where do we want to be in 10 years from now? And then how do we build a plan that gets us to where we want to be?”
- “It’s a wholistic approach. It’s life and business mixed together.”
- 3:51 Do most companies neglect to plan or plan poorly?
- It’s a combination, many small business owners are afraid of the planning process and many mid-sized business owners tend to think too short sighted.
- 6:48 Good planning requires time
- “If you’re just responding to the fires every day, you’re never going to make those kind of huge breakthroughs if you don’t stop and be intentional.”
- 8:03 The Impact of Goal Setting on Employee Engagement and Business Success
- 8:50 Fail to plan. Plan to fail.
- 10:36 “These are long term investments”
- 11:34 Can you build job satisfaction?
- You need to tailor jobs to people. Those opportunities open through business growth.
- 13:29 Drive Performance… Care For People
- Without results, you can’t take care of your people
- “One of your jobs as a manager is to create a growing environment”
- 17:35 Who was Shawn McBride’s Best Manager?
- Shawn shares how a formal mentor relationship, set up in law school, developed into a lasting and impactful long-term relationship that’s still maintained today.
- 18:47 How do you maintain a mentor relationships?
- Whether a mentor-mentee relationship is formally set up or not, a successful relationship is often based on a mentee’s potential and the mentor’s ability to see that potential.
- 20:04 Relationships are a two-way street.
- One of the best ways to hone your skills is through teaching others
- 22:07 Is it the Mentor or the Mentee who should reach out?
- 25:35 One of the biggest mistakes Shawn McBride made as a leader
- “…I was very mechanical about it. ‘We have certain tasks to get done. You’re an employee, you’ve been hired to get these tasks done. Therefore, if you’re junior to me in a law firm and you’re reporting to me on a project, you get these tasks done.’“
- What’s the solution? Connecting the dots on the “WHY”
- 27:05 People don’t buy (or follow) based on logic, but based on emotion
- 29:12 Business Blunders!
- Business Blunders!: 10 Dangerous Business Mistakes and How to Protect Your Business so It Can Thrive!
- 30:42 An Extremely Common Business Blunder:
- “A lot of times they don’t understand what their assets are. So much today, our assets are our people, they’re our know-how, they are industry knowledge, they are customers lists, they’re those relationships, our assets may not be what we think they are.”
- “What would somebody want to buy if they were buying the company?”
- 31:51 What’s exciting Shawn McBride today?
- Shawn has a number of exciting speaking opportunities coming up
- 50 State Tour
- “Ask Questions, Terry ‘Starbucker’ St. Marie on the Your Best Manager podcast
- Shawn McBride’s TedX Talk on a woman’s business advantage
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned: