033 – Courageous Leaders and Dragon Slayers, with Richard Rierson
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Richard Rierson has over 25 years of real-world, practical leadership experience as a U.S. Marine Corps Office, Professional Pilot, & Corporate Executive at the Vice President & Director level. Richard is the CEO and founder of Verum Communications and also hosts the Dose of Leadership podcast, which has been ranked by Fortune Magazine as a “Top-9 Business Podcast” and by Inc. Magazine as a “Top 100 Podcast”.
The Dose of Leadership Podcast is the ultimate resource of inspiring and educational interviews with relevant and motivating leaders; real-life leadership and influence experts who dedicate their lives to the pursuit of truth, common sense, & courageous leadership. Through his podcast and leadership coaching, Richard helps leaders develop an authentic and courageous leadership presence; allowing them to be an influential and impactful leader in every aspect of their life.
Click to Tweet: Courageous Leaders and Dragon Slayers! A #leadership chat with Richard Rierson | @DoseOfLeader #YourBestManager https://yourbestmanager.com/richardrierson
Richard Rierson Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 3:03 Richard Rierson’s Career Path
- Welcome to American Airlines! Richard’s first official day as a fully qualified pilot? September 11, 2001…
- Shipping & Receiving lessons from the Marine Corps
- Take care of people and identify obstacles that are preventing your people from succeeding… common sense leadership
- 6:24 Common Sense Leadership
- It requires courage, authenticity, and vulnerability
- 7:15 Leaders: stop overcomplicating things and simplify!
- Many leaders overcompensate for their insecurities
- The Ideal Mindset: How can I add value in this situation?
- Leadership is easy to understand but difficult to do
- 10:14 “It’s impossible to feel bad about yourself if you’re adding value to somebody else”
- There’s a caveat… authenticity
- 11:25 Courageous Leaders and Slaying Dragons
- “You can’t be an effective leader unless you truly appreciate and are happy with yourself… and that’s a daily struggle…”
- DRAGONS – FEAR & UNCERTAINTY “look, the dragons are never going to go away, there’s always going to be a dragon that you’re going to have to slay”
- If you can fall in love with being a dragon slayer and realize that the limiting beliefs don’t go away… “You look forward to sharpening your blade and going at it again.”
- 13:37 Practical Dragon Slaying
- When you lead out of fear, you disconnect
- When you lead despite fear, taking action translates into shoulder-to-shoulder leadership
- 14:31 When Richard Rierson stopped worrying about being wrong
- 15:58 Leadership just means that “you have stepped into a role where you are willing to accept the accountability for the failures and the successes, particularly the failures, of the people you’re accountable for.”
- 17:04 Who was Richard Rierson’s Best Manager?
- “Composed, Confident, and Courageous in every aspect of his life”
- 18:56 Work, Life, and Work-life Balance
- Where are your priorities and where do you find your self-worth?
- 23:18 Two umbrellas: Fear and Love
- Leadership, it’s a loving act
- 25:35 What’s exciting in Richard Rierson’s world today?
- Verum Communications and helping CEO’s connect with their employees through authentic audio conversations
- 32:04 Richard Rierson’s Book Recommendation
- Chapter 5: Level 5 Leadership of Good to Great
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap …and Others Don’t, by Jim Collins
Interesting Links & Resources:
Verum Communications – Verum Communications delivers your message via a customized branded mobile app to every employee…at every level…wherever they are.
RichardRierson.com – Common Sense Leadership Training and Advice. Learn what is leadership and what it takes to discover and develop your own leadership style.
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team