096 – How to Get People to Work Harder, Stay Later, and Care More, with Scott Love
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Scott Love shows managers how to be the boss nobody will leave. With over 20 years of empirical research, he gives managers tactical ideas to lead in a way that increases employee retention, reduces turnover, and attracts high achievers. He is a successful entrepreneur, professional keynote speaker, the author of Why They Follow, and is a graduate of the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.
Click to Tweet: How to Get People to Work Harder, Stay Later, and Care More, w/@scottlove YourBestManager.com/ScottLove on #yourbestmanager w/@jamesdnewman
Scott Love Interview Notes:
- 1:50 Scott Love’s Career Path
- Scott talks about his experience within leadership development for the Navy.
- “It’s not about the authority, it’s about the leadership”
- W. Edwards Deming and the Quality Movement
- 3:08 Scott shares how he started in the recruiting & headhunting business, which afforded him the opportunities and perspectives to build the framework for his book, Why They Follow
- 4:04 “Is it easier to get a new customer or to keep an existing one happier?”
- “A company can increase their retention, increase their loyalty, just because of the relationship with a manager one-level up.”
- 6:30 Have You Talked To Your Boss About It?
- How critical is the manager-employee relationships?
- 8:30 Attracting People to a Company
- 8:57 Getting Them to Perform at a Higher Level
- The Response Ratio – The employee chooses their level of response when a directive is given
- “If you want to keep your people, you need to lead in a way that causes them to choose to respond at a high level when you give them a directive.”
- 10:51 “Employees make a judgement about the energy that they’re going to apply to accomplishing that job based on personal leadership skills of their boss one level up.”
- 11:36 The Cardinal Rule of Human Behavior: People are going to do what’s in their best interest.
- 12:08 Keeping Them There
- “Emotional Equity – They need to have a feeling that they have a piece of the action, that they own it. They need to say, ‘I love it here because we did this, this is our company, we built it!'”
- Effective Leadership is Invisible
- 13:54 Invisible Leadership and Why People Leave
- 15:03 When a prospect candidate says, “I’m open to other things” …why is that?
- 16:30 Attracting People – Is it the company or the manager?
- You, as the manager… you are the company
- 17:28 “Show How Their Work Matters”
- If you can help people find the correlation between performance at work and personal achievement, you are going to increase employee engagement and team motivation
- Do your employees understand how important the work they do actually is?
- 18:36 Deconstructing Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- Self-Actualization – Doing work that is fulfilling
- 20:39 “Sometimes you will pursue something that is unsafe because it’s your mission”
- 21:58 What is it that each person is motivated by? Write it down.
- 23:39 There are things that you can do outside of your typical core responsibilities to add value to the people you lead and help serve them on all the levels they are looking for.
- 25:44 At some point, you’re going to leave this company
- 27:15 How to Get People to Work Harder, Stay Later, and Care More
- 28:26 Who was Scott Love’s Best Manager?
- Scott shares how his executive officer in the Navy was the kind of leader who was a mentor.
- “Many times, the directives I would get from weren’t easy and were very challenging, but I think the fact that he cared, I really felt that he really cared about me as a person”
- 30:24 Driving Out Fear
- 33:52 Scott Love’s Book Recommendations
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You, by John Maxwell
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change, by Stephen Covey
- Why They Follow: How to Lead with Positive Influence, by Scott Love
- 34:01 Invest 1-hour a day into personal development
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
The Attorney Search Group – As a boutique attorney search consultancy, we create growth in law firms and are career catalysts for attorneys in transition.