045 – Just Put Yourself in Your Employee’s Shoes, with Shawn Freeman
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Born and bred in Calgary, Alberta, Shawn Freeman is the founder of TWT Group. After completing a degree in Computer Science at the University of Calgary and a Masters degree in Management Science, Shawn worked in IT for several big companies before leaping off the corporate ladder in 2011 to start his own shop.
He founded TWT Group with the goal of making IT easy instead of infuriating. He generously lends his IT skills to several Calgary non-profit organizations, including Youth Central in the Kahanoff Conference Centre.
Shawn is also a thought leader and has contributed about technology and entrepreneurship to major global publications including The Huffington Post, Entrepreneur, Inc., Notable, and Forbes.
Click to Tweet: Just Put Yourself in Your Employee’s Shoes, a #leadership chat w/ @shawn_freeman | #YourBestManager @jamesdnewman http://yourbestmanager.com/shawnfreeman
Shawn Freeman Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:57 Shawn Freeman’s Career Path
- Shawn started TWT Group Inc., 5 Years ago, after working with a company that experienced some explosive growth
- You don’t need a title to learn leadership
- 4:46 “Being a good manager is almost as easy as just being a good person… taking that look at it and saying, how would I want to be treated, how would I want to be mentored? … putting yourself in other people’s shoes really helps”
- 5:30 Who was Shawn Freeman’s Best Manager
- “Somebody to look up to and somebody who was always growing”
- 6:30 How Shawn’s manager gave the advice that triggered his entrepreneurial journey
- 10:20 – It’s not your company’s responsibility to make you great
- “For anything you want, you can find an excuse for why your circumstance doesn’t allow it”
- 11:55 The Biggest Management Challenge that Shawn Freeman has faced
- Letting an employee go
- “You need to do what’s right for the company, but you also need to do what’s right for the person”
- 14:22 – The Solution: How do you make THAT decision?
- 15:17 “If you have one bad apple and you have a team of 10 people, are you willing to sacrifice the other nine for the lack of performance of the one? Because trust me, you are… the rest of your team is actually looking to you to deal with the problem, they’re depending on you to take care of them. If they are putting in good effort, they deserve for you to take care of the problem”
- 16:42 Shawn Freeman’s Proudest Moment as a Leader
- How Shawn’s biggest challenge turned into his proudest moment
- 17:57 Making those tough decisions can be lonely, however…
- 18:56 What’s Exciting Shawn Freeman Today?
- New and exciting opportunities / the future of the Tech industry
- Helping people learn and help businesses automate more
- 20:35 If I’m a business owner, what is the biggest problem I don’t know I have?
- 22:06 The Importance of Personal & Professional Self-Development
- You don’t know what you don’t know, find people who are experts in the areas you are not
- Tip 1 – Attend conferences, but be picky… you get what you pay for
- Tip 2 – Disconnect
- Tip 3 – Read, an opportunity to stand on the shoulders of giants
- 24:18 Shawn Freeman’s Book Recommendation
- 26:50 Final words of Encouragement
- “Just put yourself in other people’s shoes. The people you are leading, what would they want?”
Interesting Links & Resources:
ShawnFreeman.ca – I am a thought leader & entrepreneur. I’ve been published in global publications including Entrepreneur, Inc.com, Huffington Post and Notable.ca
TWTGroup.ca – TWT Group is a locally owned small business just like yours. We’re proud to provide our clients with proactive, results-focused and forward thinking computer IT support solutions. We don’t help computers, we help people.
Shawn Freeman on Twitter (@shawn_freeman)
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team