029 – Don’t Climb the Corporate Ladder… Switch Ladders! (w/Tanveer Naseer)
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Tanveer Naseer is an award-winning and internationally-acclaimed leadership writer and keynote speaker. He is also the Principal and Founder of Tanveer Naseer Leadership, a leadership coaching firm that works with executives and managers to help them develop practical leadership and team-building competencies to guide organizational growth and development.
Tanveer is the recipient of several awards and recognitions as one of the leading writers in the leadership sphere, including being recognized by Inc. Magazine as one of the Top 100 Leadership and Management Experts, earning a #3 ranking on HR Examiner’s Top 25 Online Influencers in Leadership, and ranked as one of the Top 15 Bloggers in the world.
oh… and did I mention that he’s Canadian?
Click to Tweet: Listen to Tanveer Naseer share who had the most significant impact on his career on the Your Best Manager podcast
Tanveer Naseer Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:38 Tanveer Naseer’s Career Path
- Tanveer’s background is in medical science… not business
- Tanveer’s focus and drive to help others do better
- 4:47 Emotional intelligence and how a manager’s mood creates a context for how people interpret a leader’s communication
- 6:10 Is the solution as simple as just smiling at work?
- 7:48 Who was Tanveer Naseer’s Best Manager?
- An intimidating title but a welcoming leader who listened, who didn’t correct, but who asked questions
- How Tanveer’s manager encouraged him to take initiative
- 11:30 The difference between simply identifying a problem and taking the next step to think about possible solutions.
- Leaders and managers, create an environment where you can champion your employees to find answers (Tweet This)
- 13:01 Leadership Question: How can I help you to become a strong, more valued contributor in our organization?
- 15:30 “He created an environment where I felt comfortable…”
- 19:10 Leadership – “It’s empowering our employees to take more and more ownership so we can just check in and make sure we’re giving them the right tools, resources, and environment to success.”
- 19:32 The biggest leadership challenge for new managers
- Often we are put in new positions because of our technical competencies.
- “We tend to think of leadership as climbing another rung on the ladder we’re already on… we’ve actually, literally, changed ladders. We’re on a whole different ladder!”
- 21:36 What’s Exciting Tanveer Today?
- Working on a new book about diversity in leadership
- Writing at TanveerNaseer.com… Continuing to find so many great things to share and give to others
- 24:30 Discussing diversity in leadership, demographics, women in leadership, and social media
- 24:05 Tanveer Naseer’s Book Recommendations
- The Leadership Challenge: How to Make Extraordinary Things Happen in Organizations, by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner
- Listen to Barry Posner’s Interview on the Your Best Manager podcast (Episode 14)
- Leadership Vertigo: Why Even the Best Leaders Go Off Course and How They Can Get Back On Track, by Tanveer Naseer
Interesting Links & Resources:
TanveerNaseer.com – Tanveer Naseer is an award-winning and internationally-acclaimed leadership writer and speaker.
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team