011 – You’ll Be a Better Leader If You Support Local Coffee Roasters, with Terry Starbucker
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Terry ‘Starbucker’ St. Marie has been in the business world for over 34 years in various leadership positions, most recently as the Senior Vice President of Operations for Bresnan Communications, a cable TV operator in the Rocky Mountain west. Now, living in Portland Oregon, he is a leadership & business consultant, entrepreneur, writer, coach, and angel investor. He has also been recognized by Inc. Magazine as one of the top 100 Leadership and Management Experts.
Terry’s biggest passion has been the practice of what he calls More Human Leadership. He is also the co-founder of an online magazine focused on Oregon entrepreneurs which can be found at BuiltOregon.com
Click to Tweet: Terry ‘Starbucker’ St. Marie shares who had the most significant impact on his career. The #YourBestManager show! https://yourbestmanager.com/terrystarbucker
Terry ‘Starbucker’ St. Marie Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:38 Where the ‘Starbucker’ came from
- 4:16 Some love for local coffee
- 4:54 Some love for Starbucks
- Interview with Howard Behar (Former President of Starbucks via Your Best Manager)
- Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul, by Howard Schultz (Chairman and CEO of Starbucks)
- 5:40 Terry Starbucker’s Career Path
- 9:32 Who was Terry’s Best Manager and Why?
- Learn about Bill Bresnan
- 11:41 Some tough love from a great leader
- 12:40 Recognizing the influence and impact opportunities that come from people management and management.
- 13:51 Biggest People Management Challenge: Rebuilding employee trust. Terry tells a story about addressing and improving a poor company culture when his company acquired a new business.
- 15:13 The Solution (and More Human Leadership)
- There is a need for the leader to make a human connection to really be able to earn trust and lead a group to success and greatness.
- 17:10 There isn’t a manual for this — reach out to experts
- Ask questions, be intellectually curious, read, discover, and then practice
- 19:22 5 Leadership From a Glass Half-Full: The 5 Lessons You Need to Learn Before You Jump Into the Pool (Currently on the About Me Page)
- Full Spectrum Management
- Teach Instead of Tell
- Trust in Facts (“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” – John Adams)
- Know the “Secrets of Work”
- Use the Seven Most Important Words, “I Don’t Know But I’ll Find Out”
- 25:40 Terry’s Book Recommendation for First-Time Managers
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don’t, by Jim Collins
- In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America’s Best-Run Companies, by Tom Peters
- The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership, by Steve Farber
- 27:11 What’s Exciting Terry Today?
- BuiltOregon.com & Making Oregon Podcast
- Tender Loving Empire
- Purpose Driven Businesses
Interesting Links & Resources:
Terry ‘Starbucker’ St. Marie’s Web Site – Terry St. Marie More Human Leadership. a journey to the heart of leadership.
BuiltOregon.com – Oregon’s Entrepreneurial Digital Magazine
Making Oregon Podcast – Making Oregon is a podcast by Built Oregon that brings you our conversations with innovators, makers, doers, disruptors, foodies, dreamers, and groundbreakers from all across the state. These entrepreneurs talk with us about the inspiration and ingenuity it takes to make Oregon the best place we know to build and sustain a prosperous lifestyle.
Tender Loving Empire – Record Label. Handmade Goods. All together now.
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team