024 – Become a Better Leader by Becoming a Better Person, with Victor Prince
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Victor Prince has over 20 years of private and public sector experience managing large teams (over 300 people), large budgets (over $100 Million Dollars) and Profit & Loss Commitments. His past roles include COO of the US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, strategy consultant with Bain & Company, online marketing executive with Capital One and a former member of DC Mayor Fenty’s Cabinet.
Victor is also a leadership author, trainer and speaker. His books include Lead Inside the Box: How Smart Leaders Guide their Teams to Exceptional Results and Executive Farm: A Leadership Fable.
Additionally, Victor teaches courses in leadership, strategic planning, structured problem-solving, effective communications and project management.
Click to Tweet: Victor Prince shares who had the most significant impact on his career on the Your Best Manager podcast
Victor Prince Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:42 Victor Prince and Mike Figliuolo
- 2:34 Victor’s Career Path (Right now, Victor is on his 7th Career)
- 3:49 Who was Victor Prince’s Best Manager? (Dan Tangherlini)
- Working for the mayor of Washington D.C.
- Competence & Confidence
- The value of preparation in leadership
- “The worst thing you can do as a leader is do nothing” (Tweet This)
- 7:06 The biggest leadership challenge Victor has faced
- Managing logistics for the 2009 Presidential Inauguration (Barack Obama’s First Inauguration)
- 9:22 How do you prepare for something you don’t expect? (Step 1: Verify)
- 11:02 What would Victor do differently if he could go back in time?
- Appreciate the moments, the journey, the history… not just the destination
- 13:21 What’s Exciting Victor Prince Today?
- Victor’s new book, The Camino Way: Lessons in Leadership from a Walk Across Spain
- Goal of the book: to help people become better leaders by becoming better people themselves
- 15:53 The Value of Personal and Professional Self-Development
- Taking breaks in between jobs (but treat the breaks like a job)
- 18:40 Leading Inside the box?
- 3 Common Mistakes (Spreading your leadership too evenly, playing favorites, or sticking with the easy stuff)
- 19:40 Victor Prince’s Book Recommendations
- Lead Inside the Box: How Smart Leaders Guide Their Teams to Exceptional Results, by Victor Prince and Mike Figliuolo
- The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement, by Eliyahu Goldratt
- The Ten-Day MBA 4th Ed.: A Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering the Skills Taught In America’s Top Business Schools, by Steven Silbiger
- 21:19 How to avoid spending time in the wrong places
- 23:23 Victor Prince’s Final Words of Wisdom
- All feedback is good
Interesting Links & Resources:
VictorPrince.com – Official Site of Victor Prince, author of Lead Inside the Box, former COO of CFPB, former CapStat Director, former Bain consultant.
ThoughtLeaders LLC – thoughtLEADERS, LLC teaches leadership, strategy, communications, innovation, decision-making, resilience, and other key business skills.
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team