093 – True Leaders Make Sacrifices For Their People with Andreas Jones
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Andreas Jones is a Leadership and Business Consultant, Coach and Advisor at BattleTestedLeadership.com where he works with business owners and leaders to help them implement profitable habits, systems and processes to grow their business without stress, overwhelm and burnout. Andreas is also an award winning bestselling author, business growth strategist, leadership consultant, and columnist at Forbes Magazine, The Huffington Post, CEO World Magazine, Influencive.com and LifeHack.org
Click to Tweet: True Leaders Make Sacrifices For Their People w/ @TheAndreasJones on the #YourBestManager podcast w/@jamesdnewman YourBestManager.com/andreasjones
Andreas Jones Interview Notes:
- 1:43 Andreas Jones’ Career Path
- Andreas talks about how his early entry into professional responsibility, being a 17-year-old responsible for $50,000 of military equipment, pushed him outside of his comfort zone and taught him both personal responsibility and ownership.
- He also talks about how his corporate career was built off of a big risk, leaving a full-time call center position to work part-time within the supply chain department.
- 3:53 “That initial leap was probably one of the hardest decision I’ve made and I’ve got to say without my wife, that probably wouldn’t be possible.”
- 4:42 The Value of a Having a Strong Support System
- 5:16 Opportunities Become Available When You Do What You Love
- 5:53 “Spend some time and find what really sparks that fire inside of you – what gets you really excited, because just doing that everyday, it makes work much easier… it makes it easier in the sense that you’re just enjoying what your doing, you’re not trying to think about, ‘is it 5-o-clock yet?'”
- “When you have a job, there’s too much time, but when you have a career, there’s never enough time”
- 7:22 Ask Yourself and Ask Your People, Why Are You Here?
- 7:53 “As a leader, your first and foremost goal is not to create more followers, it’s to create more leaders and the best way you can lead a person is to help them find their purpose and find their sweet spot… if that’s on another team, you help them get to the other team.”
- 8:20 What happens when somebody doesn’t want more?
- “You have to be okay if their reality doesn’t line up with your expectations”
- “As a leader, one of the most important things that you have to do is manage your expectations and don’t project them too much on your team.”
- 10:29 How did Andreas Jones enter into Leadership Development/Consulting?
- “I remember my first leadership role, I was the operations manager and I totally sucked at it”
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You, by John Maxwell
- “My issue in my first leadership role was separating the tactical from the leader role”
- “What do I need to do to maximize everyone’s effort?”
- 11:57 How Can New Managers Overcome the Desire to be Everyone’s Friend?
- Change comes from the support, encouragement, development, and accountability from someone farther down the path from you.
- “I was lucky and blessed to have a manager who cared enough and saw something inside of me that I wasn’t seeing at that point.”
- 13:55 Three Things Andreas learned from John Maxwell:
- 1. The foundation of leadership is trust
- 2. The most potent form of leadership is self-leadership
- 3. No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care
- 15:40 The Power of Care, Emotion and Storytelling in Persuasion and Team Performance
- 17:38 Who was Andreas Jones’ Best Manager?
- Andreas shares how his Sergeant in the army
- “He took the extra time out to really explain manhood to me, to explain what being an adult is all about… those initial mentoring sessions with him is what shaped my life and created a paradigm shift for me”
- Andreas also talks about how a small gift from one of his managers (John Maxwell’s 21 Laws) triggered his pursuit of leadership development, his involvement with the John Maxwell team and his entrepreneurial journey.
- Check out John Maxwell
- 21:21 Life Skills – It’s Not a Manager’s Responsibility, but it’s a Manager’s Opportunity
- 23:57 Andreas tells a story about how his manager helped him make the decision to leave his company and take a new opportunity
- “You’re a great asset to my team but I would not hold you back from a great opportunity.”
- 27:12 How to Find A Mentor (Regardless Of Who Is In Your Network)
- Take advantage of the access you Have To Information
- 28:32 Why Trial & Error can be an Effective Method for Leadership Development
- Perspective is everything – Thomas Edison and the Light Bulb “I found 10,000 ways that didn’t work”
- “The only way you fail is when you stop at the failure… you quit”
- If you are trying things out (and communicating them) in the best interest of your people, you are going to have their support
- 33:52 What’s Exciting Andreas Jones Today?
Additional Info, Links & Resources Mentioned:
The “What If?” Project – 30 Days. 30 Leadership Tips. 30 Baby Steps. And 30 Opportunities to Become a Better Manager… Different Kind of Manager.