014 – Leadership Is A Relationship, So Who Are You? with Barry Posner
Subscribe and Listen to the Your Best Manager Podcast!
Barry Posner is the Accolti Endowed Professor of Leadership at the Leavey School of Business, Santa Clara University, where he served for 12 years as Dean of the School. Barry received the Association of Talent Development’s highest award for Distinguished Contribution to Workplace Learning and Performance. He has been named as one of the nation’s top management and leadership educators by the International Management Council, recognized as one of the Top 50 leadership coaches in America, ranked among the Most Influential HR thinkers in the world by HR magazine, and listed among the Top 75 Leadership and Management Experts in the world by Inc. Magazine. Barry is also the co-author (with Jim Kouzes) of the award-winning and best-selling leadership book, The Leadership Challenge.
Click to Tweet: Listen to Barry Posner share who had the most significant impact on his career. On the #YourBestManager #podcast! https://yourbestmanager.com/barryposner
Barry Posner Interview – Key Takeaways:
- 1:59 An overview of Learning Leadership
- Everybody is capable of providing good leadership… but you need to take the actions necessary to get extraordinary things done.
- 3:26 Barry Posner’s Career Path
- 5:36 The importance of counting up – every day is an opportunity to make a difference. Each day matters.
- 7:20 Who was Barry’s Best Manager?
- 7:50 People most frequently talk about their first boss as their greatest influence (if it’s done properly)
- 8:41 – Demanding and caring. Set high standards, encourage your people to reach those standards.
- 10:15 – Recognize the weight of being someone’s first manager.
- 12:56 The biggest leadership challenge: Finding people to listen to you, who don’t agree with you.
- You can learn a lot from those who respectfully disagree with you
- 14:00 Be willing to learn from diverse points of view
- 14:52 Don’t rush to judgment. There is a need to learn how to have patience and just breathe.
- 18:14 Why is this patience, this listening, this leaning in, this leadership development so difficult?
- 18:49 “Leadership is a relationship, so who are you?” It starts with you knowing who you are and being able to articulate that and be consistent with that.
- 19:25 “The more I talk about my values with other people, the clearer they become for me” (Tweet This)
- 20:28 “Given how you spent your time, what does that say to you about the things that are important to you?” (Tweet This)
- 21:48 The Value of Personal and Professional Self-Development
- The smartest people understand how little they know
- 24.12 Barry’s Author/Book Recommendations for First-Time Managers
- Learning Leadership: The Five Fundamentals of Becoming an Exemplary Leader, by Barry Posner and Jim Kouzes
- The Leadership Challenge: How to Make Extraordinary Things Happen in Organizations, by Barry Posner and Jim Kouzes
- Adam Grant
- Dan Ariely
- Jeff Pfeffer
- 25:18 What’s Exciting Barry Posner today? Working with youth and teaching leadership to young people… leadership as a mindset, not a position
Interesting Links & Resources:
The Leadership Challenge – The Leadership Challenge is a global campaign to liberate the leader in everyone.
The Student Leadership Challenge – Jim Kouzes & Barry Posner liberate the leader in every student with the most comprehensive student leadership model based on over 30 years of research.
Free Management Course: Fully Engaged in 10 Days – Learn Three Critical Components to Increasing Employee Engagement on Your Team